Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-22 19:21:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Wasn't there supposed to be some discussion among replication authors to
> try to come up with at least some common hooks?

Yes, Andrew Sullivan even opened a PgFoundry project and a mailing list.
But up to now, only the GORDA project has proposed some hooks.

For Postgres-R, I definitely don't want to settle for any hooks, yet,
because I want to keep flexible. Hooks would only get into my way and
serve no purpose.

> If everybody invents their own grammar, GUC vars, etc. etc. it will be
> impossible to handle down the track.

Why is that? I can very well change all of the configuration stuff, I
just don't see no use for that.

> We'd be faced with a choice of
> never having any replication in core, or picking one and leaving the
> others out in the cold.

...or wait for *the one* superior set of hooks we never can come up with?

Remember that the problem in replication is not interfacing with the
database. That can and has been solved in multiple different ways. And
interfaces can change (especially as long as they are still part of
experimental software).

Regards

Markus