Re: Custom Data Type Question

From: Greg Mitchell <gmitchell(at)atdesk(dot)com>
To: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Custom Data Type Question
Date: 2006-11-16 13:15:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A simpler way to do this might be to only cache the list per query
> context. In your IO functions, you could whack a pointer to your cache
> onto fcinfo->flinfo->fn_extra, and the same flinfo gets passed in for
> e.g. all output function calls for that column for that query, IIRC.
> This was what I had in mind originally when I did the enum patch, but I
> ended up just using syscaches, which I think would be unavailable to you
> writing a UDT.

If my understanding is correct, if fn_extra is null, I would palloc() my
data cache and store the pointer in fn_extra? What about freeing this
pointer? Or is cleanup automatic?

Also, are there any ADTs like a hash-map or tree-map in the server
libraries (my background is C++ and am use to having std::map<>) or do I
need to role my own?

I am using enumkit for some true enums I have in the DB and like it very
much. Though I tend to customize the C-code to optimize it for my use.

Thanks,
Greg