Re: adminpack and pg_catalog

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: adminpack and pg_catalog
Date: 2006-11-13 08:20:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:
> While I don't disagree that this is an important feature, the fact that it is
> being designed with pgadmin specific backwards compatability (for example the
> functions that rename core functions) leaves me dubious as to it being a more
> general solution. Because of that I would be comfortable with acting on #3.

The rename happened because when one of the functions was moved into
core, someone decided to rename it along the way which broke
compatibility with previous versions of pgAdmin.

Whilst I won't in any way deny that the adminpack was specifically
written for pgAdmin though, I have no problem with it being enhanced to
provide non-core functionality for other admin tools in the future... in
fact I would encourage it. I think it's better to support as many admin
tools as possible from one contrib module, rather than for each tool to
have it's own.

Regards Dave.