Re: $ Contribution vs $ Matching Pledge

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: $ Contribution vs $ Matching Pledge
Date: 2006-10-30 17:56:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> Since PG is not a governmental entity, I'll work under the premise
> that we can't spend what we don't have.
>
> We keep a local, non-profit radio station on during the day. 2X per
> year, they have a gift-giving drive.
>
> Some local companies/individuals specify an amount (matching funds).
> The announcer then says:
>
> "Folks, Company XYZ will match your generous gift --- up to $xxx, with
> an additional, matching gift of $xxx. Take advantage of this
> opportunity now to help support the cause!" Apparently, it works
> quite well.
> Sounds simple, but I'm guessing we could change that. :-)
Usually this works in the form of "I am company XYZ and want to donate
$100, but I want some publicity for the donation", the fundraiser says
"What if we advertise your name and say that you'll match donations up
to $100" . The idea is that the charity gets their donation either
way, but the company making the large donation gets some publicity as a
result. It also allows the charity to have a defined contribution....
It's also the reason you don't often see "Company XYZ will put in $2
for every $1 that you donate" since that would reduce the exposure of
company XYZ.

BTW, how hard would it be to change the footer on the various mailing
lists to add a donate link? Or perhaps make that one of the tips?

I know that some donors would like the publicity - especially the
commercial entities that provide PostgreSQL related services (like us).
It helps to give us exposure and give customers a "warm fuzzy" feeling
that some of the $$$ they spend on services go back into the project.

On another note, I think that all fundraising related communication
should come from the PostgreSQL community (not a corporate entity). I
know Josh B. does a good job of this (using his agliodbs contact for
non-community stuff, and his '@postgresql.org' contact for PostgreSQL
related communications. When people see a commercial company tied to
fundraising efforts IMHO it taints the effort, and may give the donor
the idea that the company is somehow tied to or advocated by the project...

I'm not certain that everyone does it this way, but I know from
experience some do...

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210