Proposal for change in pgsql-announce behavior

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Proposal for change in pgsql-announce behavior
Date: 2006-10-29 19:53:26
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc,

Right now, whenever someone posts to pgsql-announce, they get a flood of
"Please remove me" and bounce messages. This is quite startling for
vendors who post announcements for the first time, and quite annoying
for the rest of us. And I think it's fixable.

What if we:

1) set pgsql-announce to be "reply to pgsql-announce-reply(at)postgreSQL(dot)org".
2) set up pgsql-announce-reply with a set of filters which looks for
"remove", "unsubscribe" and typical bounce messages in the body or
subject of the reply, and unsubscibes the sender.

If you can't use one list to unsubscribe another, then you can reverse
it; have them reply to pgsql-announce, but have a seperate address
(pgsql-announce-submit) for submitting new announcements.

Thoughts?

--Josh Berkus