Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: Duncan Garland <duncan(dot)garland(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-28 00:04:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Duncan Garland wrote:

> I do appreciate your replies, they made interesting reading. You all clearly
> believe in your product. However, it is a bit worrying that nobody on the
> Postgres advocacy mailing list could point me towards any authoratative
> material advocating Postgres over MySQL.

May not be overly authoritative but - performance wise there are
benchmarks at tweakers.net - these are hardware performance testing that
use mysql and postgresql to measure what the hardware can do compared to
other hardware.

http://tweakers.net/reviews/646/10

I think a lot of comparisons/advocacy have basically been "I prefer x
because..." with some doing internal performance testing when first
making their choice.
I don't know of any that would compare db's feature to feature like you
might see in a pc mag comparing MS SQL with Oracle.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)007Marketing(dot)com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz