Re: COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem
Date: 2006-10-23 20:31:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
>> I'm playing with catalog upgrade. The very basic idea of my experiment
>> is export data from catalog and import it back to the new
>> initialized/fresh catalog.
>
> That is never going to work, at least not for any interesting catalogs.
> A system with a "fresh" (I assume you mean empty) pg_proc, for instance,
> is non functional.

No empty, fresh initialized by initdb. I want to copy only "user data"
which is not created during boostrap.

> A much bigger problem, if you're thinking of this as a component step
> of pg_upgrade, is that you can't use anything at the COPY level of
> detail because it will fail if the new version wants a different catalog
> layout --- for instance, if someone's added a column to the catalog.

Yes, I know about it. It is not problem, I want to prepare "shadow"
catalog with new structure on old database in separate schema and adjust
data in these tables. After it I want to make final COPY - data will be
copied with correct structure.

> The right way to implement pg_upgrade is to transfer the catalog data
> at the SQL-command level of abstraction, ie, "pg_dump -s" and reload.

I'm not sure if it is important, but I think that preserve OID is
important and SQL level does not allow set OID.

Zdenek