Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Duncan Garland <duncan(dot)garland(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-22 15:15:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>> We don't. We produce useful database software, and people use it or
>> they don't.
>>
> Positioning is all about making people consider what you do useful, no?
> What's useful in the eyes of the producer is not always in alignment
> with the general perception of a potential user-base.

100% agreed here :)

>IMO, The
> PostgreSQL core team should be more humble to that fact.
> After all, you do want your product to gain ground right? Why else are you doing this?

Well... I know many developers, develop to develop. They develop
PostgreSQL because they happen to like it, they could give a flying
donkey butt if people use the software.

Luckily most of those developers are being drowned out by the more sane
masses ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake