Complex Query - Data from 3 tables simultaneously

From: <Amit_Wadhwa(at)Dell(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Complex Query - Data from 3 tables simultaneously
Date: 2005-10-27 07:37:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

All,

Using Postgres 8.0 on Windows Server 2003 - 16GB Ram, 3Ghz X 2 Xeons
Accessing through JDBC / JSP

I have 3 shipment tables.
Table A - Records arrived Shipments.
Table B - Records Materials (maybe more than one per shipment) in the
shipment.
Table C - Records Issuances of material (maybe more than one Issuance
per line item of material) in Table B.

eg.
Table A (PK = Shipment ID)
-----------
shipment ID Recd Date
1 2005-XX-XX
10 2005-XX-XX

Table B (PK = Material ID, FK = Shipment ID, references Table A
(shipment ID))
-----------------
shipment ID Material ID Material Bond Date
10 1 2005-XX-XX
10 2 2005-XX-XX

Table C (PK = Issue ID, FK = Material ID, references Table B (Material
ID))
----------------
Material ID Issue ID Issue Date
1 1 2005-05-XX
1 2 2005-05-XX

I want to get data (under criteria of recvd date in table A) the
following records:

shipment ID Recd Date MaterialID Bond Date
Issue ID Issue Date

1 2005-XX-XX - -
- -
10 2005-XX-XX 1
2005-XX-XX 1 2005-05-XX
10 2005-XX-XX 1
2005-XX-XX 2 2005-05-XX
10 2005-XX-XX 2
2005-XX-XX - -

Basically I want a raw dump of data
- Should have all the shipments regardless of whether they have any
material items entered or not
- Should have all Material Items for Every Shipment regardless of
whether it was issued or not.

I know I need an outer join (Do I Not?), but am confused as to how to
implement it.
Because this seems to be a requirement of a reversed outer join (??)

Please assist,
Thanks in advance.