Re: Mirror problems for download

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mirror problems for download
Date: 2006-10-18 11:55:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Michael Paesold wrote:
> Not being subscribed to any more appropriate list, I post this here on
> hackers.
>
> I just wanted to download the postgresql-8.0.9 tarball. The page I got
> was this:
>
> Choose a download mirror
> Downloading: /source/v8.0.9/postgresql-8.0.9.tar.gz
> We could not query the database or no mirrors could be found!
> Download PostgreSQL from the primary site
> Read this if you would like to host a mirror.
>
> Of course the primary FTP site is already unavailable (530 - maximum
> number of users reached).
>
> I get the same error for older releases, too. Can someone look into this?

Your seeing a general overload problem - with new versions just released
everyone is jumping on and downloading at the same time.

Indicates that the popularity of PostgreSQL is at a level where the
current resources are reaching thier limits and more mirror sites may be
needed.

I haven't noticed any torrent files for postgreSQL releases - maybe we
can look into setting this up to share the load, particularly around
release times.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres(at)007Marketing(dot)com