Re: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded

From: Stefan Sassenberg <stefan(dot)sassenberg(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded
Date: 2006-10-17 11:47:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hallo Markus,

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hallo Stefan,
>
> Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a failing sql-Script that I execute with the psql command.
>> The Script contains:
>
> I've been unable to reproduce the error with just that snippet (on
> debian with PostgreSQL 8.1.4). Can you provide a stripped down test case?

Reproduction is difficult. The script runs fine with the same db on
another server with a Linux derived from Knoppix, but also postgresql 8.1.4.

>> ----------------------------8<-----------------------------
>> PANIK: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded
>> server closed the connection unexpectedly
>> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>> before or while processing the request.
>
> 'Exceeding stack size' sound somewhat like an infinite loop of a
> recursive function... but that's just a very general guess. I think the
> root cause of problems is somewhere else.

As I see it, ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE is a constant that is defined in the
code (pgsql/src/backend/utils/error/elog.c) as 5. 5 illegal bytecodes
that postgresql finds in my statement are enough to cause the panic.

Stefan