Re: age() vs. timestamp substraction

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Subject: Re: age() vs. timestamp substraction
Date: 2006-10-06 09:35:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

> Where did you get that idea? age's reference point is current_date (ie,
> midnight) not now(). There are also some differences in the calculation
> compared to a plain timestamp subtraction.

I'm jumping on this thread to point out a little strange thing to me.
CURRENT_DATE, converted (stupidly) as a string *with* hour is "current
date at mid-day":

test=# select to_char(current_date,'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MI:SS');
to_char
2006-10-06 12:00:00
(1 ligne)

It was a day when I had to debug a strange behaviour in a customer's
(bad) code :-)

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo