Re: [jeffery@CS.Berkeley.EDU: DB Seminar, Sept 29th: Ihab

From: "Meredith L(dot) Patterson" <mlp(at)thesmartpolitenerd(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [jeffery@CS.Berkeley.EDU: DB Seminar, Sept 29th: Ihab
Date: 2006-09-27 18:36:07
Lists: sfpug

elein wrote:
> Speaker:
> Ihab Ilyas
>
> Title:
> The RankDB Project: Supporting Ranking In Database Systems

Oh, awesome!

For those of you not already familiar with Ilyas' work -- his group
pioneered the notion of rank-aware relational operators, which I have
been itching to implement somewhere. I especially liked his paper with
Chengkai Li et al., "RankSQL: Query Algebra and Optimization for
Relational Top-k Queries." While in the end they're not all that
related, this paper set me down the road toward what eventually became QBE.

I'll be driving up from South Bay for this one; if anyone would like to
carpool, feel free to drop me an email.

--mlp