Re: ResultSetMetaData.getTableName() == null

From: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Stienstra <alex(dot)stienstra(at)zonnet(dot)nl>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ResultSetMetaData.getTableName() == null
Date: 2006-09-22 03:50:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Essentially I think it boiled down to "getTableName() should return the
> table alias name", and since we don't have that available we return "".
> There's a postgresql-specific interface to get at the underlying table
> name (in the cases where that info is available).

Hmmm... maybe I'm missing something, but the attached test case doesn't
use any aliases, and it returns "" (at least it does for me). Is this
expected behaviour? If there's a postgresql-specific way to get it,
couldn't this method implement the same way of getting it?

BTW: not a big deal for me, I can't see that I'd ever want to use that
method. I'm just curious...

Regards, Philip.

--
Philip Yarra