Re: 'configure --disable-shared' and 'make check'

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Albe Laurenz <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Peter Eisentraut *EXTERN* <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'configure --disable-shared' and 'make check'
Date: 2006-09-21 14:35:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> It's at least theoretically possible that you could link selected PL
> objects into a static backend build, but no one is particularly
> interested in expending effort on it. There don't seem to be any
> platforms anymore on which --disable-shared is actually important.
> (Should we just get rid of it?)

There is just one case where I think static linking might make some
sense: pg_dump for use during an upgrade. Unfortunately, at least on
Linux I found it to be close to impossible, as it uses some things that
are apparently only available dynamically - I forget the details.

So basically, I would say yes, let's just drop --disable-shared.

cheers

andrew