Re: vista

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: Tomi NA <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vista
Date: 2006-09-19 13:43:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tomi NA wrote:
> On 9/19/06, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz> wrote:
>> # naz(at)mira(dot)net / 2006-09-19 21:26:16 +1000:
>> > if you want to be taken seriously by anyone who uses Windows (hands up
>> > anyone who knows a Windows user)
>>
>> 1. what do those two things have in common?
>> 2. what makes you think that "anyone who uses Windows" runs
>> PostgreSQL on it?
>> 3. my guess is you're a Windows programmer, and thus in much better
>> position to fix the issue than Tom RedHat Lane.
>
> His point makes sense, Roman. While pg is not a company or a company
> product, it certainly needs to play nice with business in order for it
> to *have* (a significent number of) users. As much as I dislike it
> (probably the euphemism of the year), Windows is a fact on most
> development machines and on a substantial number of servers. In the
> case of Vista, even if none of the core commiters plan to support it,
> it makes a lot more sense to store the RFE and say it'll have to wait,
> than to say "you got a problem? go fix it". Both attitudes reflect the
> same reality, but the fact that one is positive and one negative is
> obvious.

The response is not because it's Windows. The response 'to provide a
patch' is made to anyone who would like to see a particular
functionality in the application that the core group is not working on
or is not on their radar.

This is being made into a 'Windows vs..' thing and that's just not the
case. I've seen folks suggest someone provide a patch for non-windows
environments more so then windows environments.

Although Tom's response may have seemed to be negative towards windows,
the original posting had a bit of an attitude to start with.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

- Benjamin Franklin