Re: Mid cycle release?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mid cycle release?
Date: 2006-09-14 18:28:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
>> Point I want to make is - all those are cool features(and might be
>> critical for some) but I don't think they warrant a dramatic change in
>> the release cycle policy ...
>
> Any release is going to have some things that are compelling and some
> that aren't, for any particular person ... it's just that those things
> vary depending on who you are ...
>
> I was heard to gripe not long ago that feature freeze during August was
> bad timing. It would be interesting to try to do it during the spring
> instead, just to see if people have more free time then. So for me,
> +1 for a shorter-than-a-year cycle this time, independently of what
> features make it or don't.

Well on that same vein (with a +1), I know that we lost at least 8 weeks
of productivity from various vacations etc.. during the summer. When you
incorporate everyone else that is involved with postgresql, I could
easily see almost a full man year lost, by having freeze where it is now.

I think having a freeze more toward march/april makes a heck of a lot of
sense.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/