Re: backup infrastructure

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup infrastructure
Date: 2006-09-14 15:06:52
Lists: pgsql-www

On 13 Sep 2006 at 18:27, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:30, Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> >> Gidday folks,
> >>
> >> One way I can contribute my services to the project is in the form of
> >> backup services. You tell me what files need to be backed up from what
> >> servers, and it'll be done on the frequency required.
> >>
> >> Restores can be arranged for those that have admin access. We can
> >> keep a designated number of backups online, for immediate access.
> >> Older backups will be stored offline.
> >>
> >> Bacula is my tool of choice. Let me know how I can help.
> >
> > Is the lack of response a verification that no help is required or
> > did I pick a bad time?
>
> What is needed on the vServer side of things? A client, I assume? And
> how much data is it safe to backup? postgresql.org is up to 24G in size,
> and growing ... :)

Yes, it is a client. In the FreeBSD ports tree, it is
sysutuils/bacula-server.

I can just as easily mirror static data as opposed to backing up
dynamic data.

> We're in the process of setting up a full backup to a remote server *just
> in case*, but that will include *all* files, so that we could fail over as
> required ... so I'm not sure whether or not there would be a benefit to
> 'per file backups', but I'm not against it either if others here feel that
> this would help ...

Once your current rush subsides, and there is slight pause, let me
know.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php