Re: Foreign keys

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Chris Mair <chrisnospam(at)1006(dot)org>, MAR - Secretariado Geral <secretariadogeral(at)acra(dot)pt>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Foreign keys
Date: 2006-09-10 16:40:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In any case the same logic that leads to it being desirable to report all the
> errors to the user in a UI and not just report them one by one also applies to
> the database. I'm not sure it's the most important issue in the world, but it
> does seem like a "it would be nice" feature if it reported all the errors in
> the statement, not just the first one it finds.

Seems kind of extraneous to me. I am guessing it would cause yet further
overhead with our foreign key checks.

My testing shows that the use of foreign keys on high velocity single
transaction loads, can cause easily a 50% reduction in performance. Why
add to that? What we need to be doing is finding a way to decrease the
impact of foreign key checks.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/