Re: Fixed length data types issue

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixed length data types issue
Date: 2006-09-08 19:08:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> No one has mentioned that we page value on disk to match the CPU
> alignment. This is done for efficiency, but is not strictly required.

From time to time the idea of a logical vs physical mapping for columns
has been mentioned. Among other benefits, that might allow us to do some
rearrangement of physical ordering to reduce space wasted on alignment
in some cases. There might be a small addition on computation required,
but I suspect it would be lost in the noise, and swamped by any
increased efficiency we got from putting more tuples in a page.

cheers

andrew