Re: @ versus ~, redux

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: @ versus ~, redux
Date: 2006-09-03 17:48:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I can see various things that we might consider doing:
>
> 1. Just flip the names of the two operators added by the GIN patch.
>
> 2. #1 plus flip the names of the various contrib operators that are
> out of sync (Michael Fuhr points out that contrib/intarray is out
> of step too ... are there others?).
>
> 3. Leave the existing op names as-is in core and contrib, but consider
> them deprecated and add new ops with consistently-chosen names.
> (The new ops introduced by GIN should only exist with the new names.)
>
> #1 isn't doing anything towards solving the underlying problem.
> #2 has got obvious backwards-compatibility issues for contrib users.

+1 on #2 with the following caveat. When we publish the release notes,
we have a specific section that says:

Compatibility changes from previous releases. Which IMHO should be there
anyway as there are always compatibility issues from release to release.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/