Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-02 16:27:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Robert Treat wrote:
>>
>>> No offense, a whole lot of this thread seems to be positioned that way, but
>>> the real problem seems to be we do not have enough patch reviewers. ISTM the
>>> questions we should be asking are who can actually help out with patch review
>>> and then ask those people why they haven't done it. If folks like Peter,
>>> Andrew, Magnus, Simon, Joe, and Niel all say that they are not reviewing
>>> patches because they can't find the patches that need review, they can't
>>> figure out who is reviewing what, or they don't think anyone is paying
>>> attention when they do review something, then I think we have a serious
>>> problem and we certainly need to change processes. What I think you'll find
>>> is that they are all just busy working on other things, which in that case I
>>> think we need to figure out how to motivate them to focus on the patch queue
>>> rather than other items. IMHO
>> I think that if all the patches are listed with all relevant context
>> information on a webpage, then people can more easily jump in when they
>> unexpectedly have time (or prefer to procrastinate some other real world
>> thing they should rather work on). Right now if you have a few hours to
>> spare you do not have all the information readily available. Even worse
>> by inquiring for the information you might feel you are commiting more
>> than you really wanted to. This kind of information needs to be right
>> there without any person having to actively provide it upon inquiry.
>
> OK, how does that happen without a lot of work, or moving all discussion
> on to a web-based system?

No discussion takes place on the lists and IRC and busy bees make sure
that the progress/decisions etc get updated on the static wiki. Wiki's
suck at discussions, but they are great to store the decisions made so
that anyone can get himself upto speed and things do not get lost over time.

It seems that you have been the only busy bee so far, and we definitely
need more for this to work.

regards,
Lukas