Re: FOUND not set by EXECUTE?

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FOUND not set by EXECUTE?
Date: 2006-04-09 01:08:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Apr 8, 2006, at 14:38, Tom Lane wrote:

> It *is* documented: the manual lists the statements that affect FOUND,
> and EXECUTE is not among them.
>
> Whether it should be is another question, but that's a definition
> disagreement (a/k/a enhancement proposal) not a bug.

I think that:

a. It should be (it'd be very useful, without a doubt).
b. Until it is, the docs should explicitly mention that EXECUTE
does not affect found. No, EXECUTE is not in the list, and
UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE are, and although I'm using them
in an EXECUTE statement rather than directly in the PL/pgSQL,
it still seemed rather confusing, because they're still
UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE.

So yes, it's a definition disagreement, but I think that things could
be clearer.

Thanks,

David