Re: Multiple DB join

From: Sumeet Ambre <sambre(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple DB join
Date: 2006-08-15 14:11:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 05:26:10PM -0400, Sumeet Ambre wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a database which consists of 20 million records and I've split up
>> the db into 6-7 dbs.
>>

> You can do this (as someone suggested with dblink), but I'm wondering
> why the split? 20 million records isn't very big.

The Design of the database is because our organization wants to split up
different datasets into different entities, and there might be a
possibility that they'll run different instances of postgres for each
dataset. The problem is that one of the databases consists of 14 million
records and when i query the base database which consists of 20million
records, the query runs damn slow.......below is the sample schema for
my base table and the query i try to run on it....it takes me more than
2-3 minutes to run a query....Is there any way i could speed this up......

sample schema for my base table
---------------------------------

doc_id | title | authors | pub_year | abs | db_name........ |

In the above scheme the field db_name is the name of the other databases
which contain the whole record.
I'm trying to run query which searches on title, authors name, pub_year
or abstract simultaneously...

e.g. SELECT * FROM base WHERE ((title ILIKE '%something%') AND (authors
~* '.*something.*') AND (db_name='something'));

Any suggestions to speed up this query.....

Thanks,
Sumeet.