Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived

From: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Albe Laurenz <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived
Date: 2006-08-01 08:27:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>>Patch included to implement xlog switching, using an xlog record
>>"processing instruction" and forcibly moving xlog pointers.
>>
>>1. Happens automatically on pg_stop_backup()
>

> Oh - so it will not be possible to do an online backup
> _without_ forcing a WAL switch any more?

Well, previously, you would have always had to simulate a wal switch, by
working out which is the current wal file and copying that. Otherwise
your online backup wouldn't be complete.

What Simon is describing sounds like a big step forward from that
situation. It should let me delete half the code in my pitr
backup/failover scripts. Definitely a Good Thing.

> Laurenz Albe

Tim

Attachment Content-Type Size
tim.vcf text/x-vcard 117 bytes