Re: GUC with units, details

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: GUC with units, details
Date: 2006-07-27 20:18:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>> The truth is, virtually no one, even highly technical people, ever
>> picks nits between kB vs KiB vs KB.
>
> The question isn't so much whether to allow KiB and such -- that would
> obviously be trivial. The question is whether we want to have kB mean
> 1000 bytes instead of 1024 bytes.

Would it satisfy everyone if the documentation states that
specifying a value of "N kB" means that "*at least* N 1000 bytes"
are allocated; and perhaps even documenting that in the current
implementation it happens to be 24 extra bytes.

> In my mind, that goes against current practice. The only argument
> raised in favor was that international standards require such use. I'm
> as much a fan of measurement standards as anyone, but I'm also a
> practitioner of current practice.

With the spec reading "at least N KB", even the most pedantic
spec reader can't complain, because it is true.