Re: Adding a pgbench run to buildfarm

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding a pgbench run to buildfarm
Date: 2006-07-24 12:23:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry wrote:
> Not all machines stay the same over time.
> A machine may by upgraded, a machine may be getting backed up or may in
> some other way be utilised during a performance test. This would skew the
> stats for that machine. It may confuse people more than help them...
>
> At the very least, the performance figures would need to be accompanied by
> details of what other processes were running and what resources they were
> chewing during the test.
>
> This is what was nice about the OSDL approach. Each test was preceeded by
> an automatic reinstall of the OS and the machines were specifically for
> testing. The tester had complete control.
>
> We could perhaps mimic some of that using virtualisation tools which
> control access to system resources but it wont work on all platforms. The
> problem is that it probably introduces a new variable, in that I'm not
> sure that virtualisation software can absolutely limit CPU resources a
> particular container has. That is, you might not be able to get
> reproducible runs with the same code. :(

We are really not going to go in this direction. If you want ideal
performance tests then a heterogenous distributed collection of
autonomous systems like buildfarm is not what you want.

You are going to have to live with the fatc that there will be
occasional, possibly even frequent, blips in the data due to other
activity on the machine.

If you want tightly controlled or very heavy load testing this is the
wrong vehicle.

You might think that what that leaves us is not worth having - the
consensus in Toronto seemed to be that it is worth having, which is why
it is being pursued.

cheers

andrew