Re: plPHP and plRuby

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plPHP and plRuby
Date: 2006-07-17 16:06:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> PLRuby is written in C.
>
> Specifically on the matter of PL/Ruby -- and if you're trying to be such
> an advocate about it, you should at least spell it right -- I have
> never seen the author particularly active within this community, so I
> have my doubts whether the development processes will integrate well.
> In fact, shouldn't the inclusion request come from the author in the
> first place?

That is a good point. However in this case, it was CMD that worked with
the Author to change the license, specifically for this case. I don't
think the author really had any intent of submitting it until we
approached him.

From a personal perspective, I do not care if we include PL/Ruby. I
don't use Ruby. I am a Python guy. However I know a lot of Ruby folk
that use PostgreSQL. This would be a good way to improve the native Ruby
support for PostgreSQL.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/