Re: monolithic distro

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: monolithic distro
Date: 2006-07-13 21:01:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Yeah, but if PostgreSQL decides to endorse one monolithic distro in
>> the way I described it could give that project hopefully the necessary
>> lift. And the ultimate goal is obviously that some of those newbies
>> coming by way of the monolithic distro turn into people that bring
>> ressources to the PostgreSQL platform/ecosystem.
>
> Should Linus endorse (or does he?) one distro of Linux, or should they
> not live on their own merits?

No he does not.

I believe leaving the "expert" opinions to the "experts" is a good
argument. I also believe that anyone on this list has a right to express
their opinion and make it known.

However, as a group of which I am a part of, I do not believe we
(PostgreSQL.Org) should be endorsing anything but the core project.

I for example, will endorse PL/Java. Not because of anything to do with
Dave but because of the research I have done to date, PL/Java is more
mature.

I also currently endorse Slony-I for 8.1 installations but that is only
because we don't have a 8.1 release yet (4 weeks W00t!).

I on the other hand, do not endorse Perl or anything to do with Perl :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/