Re: How to restrict select from table with external

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John Purser <jmpurser(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Vladimir A(dot) Petrov" <vap(at)infopac(dot)ru>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to restrict select from table with external
Date: 2006-07-11 13:40:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:
> John Purser <jmpurser(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
>>Have you considered using a viw of table stats with the columns and
>>information your user is allowed to see?
>

> Yeah, a view is probably the best way.

I took from the OP that the the user and password were not necessarily
database users but might be stored in a database table structure. If
that is indeed the case, then a view won't quite cut it, will it? I
would be curious to see a clarification of what the "auth" function
does, just to see what the OP is doing for the authentication.

Sean