Re: pgsql user change to postgres

From: Joe <dev(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql user change to postgres
Date: 2006-07-02 17:23:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Plan B is to leave the pgsql user alone and add another superuser named
> postgres. You can have more than one superuser ...

Yes, that's what my hosting provider (hub.org, which also hosts
postgresql.org) seems to have done. This also avoids another minor
problem: initdb on UNIX appears to create a 'postgres' database
regardless of who runs the procedure (aside from template0 and
template1; I don't have a 'postgres' database on Windows and since it's
been a year I don't recall what the Windows initdb did). So when the
'pgsql' user invokes psql without specifying a database, there's no
'pgsql' database to be found.

Joe