Unable to initdb using HEAD on Windows XP

From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unable to initdb using HEAD on Windows XP
Date: 2006-06-18 13:02:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just compiled a fresh copy from CVS head. I then tried to do an initdb
as user 'postgres' (non admin user on my system). I get the following error:

C:\Tada\Workspace>initdb -D data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United
States.1252.

creating directory data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory
"data/global": Permission denied
initdb: removing data directory "data"
could not open directory "data": No such file or directory
initdb: failed to remove data directory

AFAICS, no data directory is ever created so the 'creating directory
data ... ok' message is probably incorrect. I even tried to change the
permissions on the parent directory so that user 'postgres' has full
control. It doesn't help. I didn't think it would since I am able to
create a database in this directory if I'm using version 8.1.4.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren