Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: matthew(at)zeut(dot)net, bbartlett(at)softwareanalytics(dot)com, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date: 2006-06-13 14:52:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>there are half a dozen more sub-options, and it seems like every time we
>turn around someone is finding a reason for another one.

This is a bit unfair. The feature was introduced in 8.0, and slightly
enhanced in 8.1. There have not been any additional CSV features this
release cycle unless my memory is worse than I thought, and I at least
have said previously that I will be resistant to the addition of further
CSV options.

My thoughts regarding options for pg_dump was actually to provide a much
smaller set than the full set available with COPY, specifically to
provide for using a single rather than a double quote char, and optional
header lines - no alternate escape or delimiter, and no FORCE QUOTE
(FORCE NOT NULL isn't relevant as it is only useful for non-postgres
derived data). At least that would be a reasonable starting point, and
would I believe cater for the vast majority of uses.

cheers

andrew