Re: UTF8 problem

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF8 problem
Date: 2006-06-09 05:37:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
>> They have talked about changing the messageblks to binary instead of
>> text. They said that one of their main objections is that bytea data is
>> not compressed. I'm not sure that's true, but I don't see anything in
>> the docs about it. I think they would move to bytea if it does compress.
>
> These people really don't know what they're talking about, do they?

Ok, this is what I thought, but I wasn't sure. We might want to add a
note to the docs that detail this fact. If it's already there, it
wasn't prominent enough for me to find with a cursory glance.

> bytea goes through exactly the same compression logic as text. But
> really it sounds to me like the easiest solution is just to run the
> database in SQL_ASCII encoding.

That is what they recommend, but I have the DBMail tables in the same
database as the rest of my company database which I converted to UTF8
(perhaps I didn't need to do this, but that is another issue...).

Thanks.