Re: Peer authentication problem in CGI-Perl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: arifin purba <arifinpurbasigumonrong(at)yahoo(dot)gr>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Peer authentication problem in CGI-Perl
Date: 2002-02-14 01:11:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 17:28, arifin purba wrote:
>> "Peer authentication failed for user 'johndoe'"

> Unfortunately, I can't at the moment think of any reason why it should
> behave differently when passed though the Perl interface.

But it wasn't the Perl interface that was the issue; it was CGI.

I will bet that his CGI environment runs as some other user than he is,
and so the peer mechanism is doing exactly what it's supposed to do:
rejecting a false claim to be PG user so-and-so when the OS knows the
client process is owned by someone else.