Re: Moving Postgres Database

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: ecoyle(at)intellecare(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving Postgres Database
Date: 2006-06-01 03:19:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Jim Nasby wrote:
> On May 31, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Chris wrote:
>> Edward Coyle wrote:
>>> I want to move a windows server 2003 based postgres database from one
>>> server to another server, can I just copy and paste the base folder
>>> or do I have to do a backup and restore? If so what options work best
>>> for creating a file to move?
>>
>> I think if you shut down postgresql on both systems then you can
>> copy/paste the folder structure.
>>
>> However they must be exactly the same versions - ie you can't do this
>> if one system is 8.0.1 and one is 8.1 or even if one is 8.0.1 and one
>> is 8.0.4.
>
> Actually, as long as you're not changing major versions (ie: 8.0.x to
> 8.1.x) you'll be fine.

I wasn't sure if changes like 8.1.x to 8.1.4 would cause a problem here:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release-8-1-4.html

A dump/restore is not required for those running 8.1.X. However, if you
are upgrading from a version earlier than 8.1.2, see the release notes
for 8.1.2.

(I thought I saw something about an internal change somewhere along
8.1.x versions, this might be it).

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/