Re: Moving Postgres Database

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ecoyle(at)intellecare(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving Postgres Database
Date: 2006-06-01 02:18:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Edward Coyle wrote:
> I want to move a windows server 2003 based postgres database from one
> server to another server, can I just copy and paste the base folder or
> do I have to do a backup and restore? If so what options work best for
> creating a file to move?

I think if you shut down postgresql on both systems then you can
copy/paste the folder structure.

However they must be exactly the same versions - ie you can't do this if
one system is 8.0.1 and one is 8.1 or even if one is 8.0.1 and one is 8.0.4.

Your other alternative is to use pg_dumpall to create an database dump
to import on the new server.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/