Re: The server's LC_CTYPE locale

From: Michael Ben-Nes <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The server's LC_CTYPE locale
Date: 2006-05-29 11:15:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> Michael Ben-Nes <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il> writes:
>
>> Im got the following error when the query string was one of the Hebrew
>> chars:
>>

>> SELECT upper('׳©');
>> ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale
>> HINT: The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
>> database encoding.
>>

> Hmph. I can't reproduce that here (using Fedora 4's version of he_IL.utf8
> anyway). I assume your client_encoding was also UTF8? The troublesome
> character came through in your email as \327\251 (D7 A9) ... is that
> what you were actually entering? The reference to F9 in the other error
> message makes me think the character got munged somewhere in the email
> chain ...

the Client Encoding is UTF8.

Strangely I no longer get the second error:
ERROR: invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte 0xf9

The first error returned:
# SELECT lower('ש');
ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale
HINT: The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
database encoding.

The character that I sent is:
[ש‎] U+05E9 &#1513; HEBREW LETTER SHIN

Im out of ideas, What else I should check ?
> regards, tom lane

Michael Ben-Nes - Internet Consultant and Director.
http://www.epoch.co.il - weaving the Net.
Cellular: 054-4848113