Re: reindexdb program error under PG 8.1.3

From: David Wall <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexdb program error under PG 8.1.3
Date: 2006-05-25 23:34:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Rats! I found nothing.... But just for grins, I ran the reindexdb
program a second time, and this time it reported a different OID, higher
than the previous. I know we didn't change the template1 database other
than using it when creating new databases, creating users, tablespaces, etc.

My guess is this is somehow related to the reindexdb program. Do you
know if there's any advantage to using the reindexdb program versus
running the psql commands REINDEX DATABASE and REINDEX SYSTEM?

When reading the docs, I'm beginning to wonder if it's even necessary to
do the reindexing. I think it may be a holdover from earlier thinking
that doesn't apply anymore. I believe the idea is that as rows are
inserted, updated and deleted, the index can get rather scrambled, and
that reindexing often sorts the values and rewrites that data so that
the indexes take less space and work faster. Is that not the case here?

Thanks,
David