Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>, Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-18 18:32:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> And MySQL is much closer to being a competitor now than they were in
> 4.1. And feature-wise they'll probably equal PostgreSQL in the next
> release. Will the features be anywhere near as robust or well thought
> out? No. But in a heck of a lot of companies that doesn't matter.

Your kidding right? Have you seen their "features"? Look at what their
stored procedures are actually capable of.

The only thing that MySQL *might* pull off is a really good storage
backend finally.

> Maybe a compatability layer isn't worth doing, but I certainly think
> it's very much worthwhile for the community to do everything possible to
> encourage migration from MySQL. We should be able to lay claim to most
> advanced and most popular OSS database.

Oh absolutely, I agree with you here but in order to do so in the most
productive manner possible the community would have to be willing to be
much more aggressive and much more antagnositic that I believe the
community has the stomach for.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/