Re: GUI Interface

From: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUI Interface
Date: 2006-05-12 01:08:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Bart Butell wrote:

> Is there a GUI interface to the database like Enterprise Manager for
> Microsoft SQL Server?

A couple of big ones are pgAdmin3 and phppgadmin

pgAdmin3 is a desktop app and looks like Enterprise Mgr. If you are
used to Enterprise mgr, it can be almost good enough, especially the
Query Analyzer look-alike. However, it has some drawbacks. The longer
you use it, the longer it takes to connect to databases each time you
start up. It says "Restoring previous settings". On my linux box, it
also has the dubious honor of being the only program I have ever seen
that can lock X hard, with killing the X server being the only rescue
(if you call that a rescue). It can connect over networks, but on mine
it always seems to hang after an hour or so, and you have to kill it and
restart it. Finally, it ain't great for inspecting text columns.

phppgadmin runs on the server so you can use any browser to use it. It
really shines in its display of text columns. Its only limitations that
I've ever seen are the obvious limitations of being a web app. I prefer
pgAdmin3 over phppgadmin solely because pgadmin3 is a desktop app.

I find pgadmin3 also superior for inspecting and fiddling with stored
procedures and especially triggers.

Just my $.02.

> Thanks
>

> Bart Butell