Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?
Date: 2000-05-05 03:32:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
>> I griped about that a week or so ago, but no one seems to have picked up
>> on it. Do you want to consider that a "must fix" problem as well?
>> I think it's a pretty minor fix, but considering how late we are in the
>> cycle...

> considering where the problem is, I think that if it can be safely done,
> please do it ...

Done and done. I also realized that pg_upgrade had another nasty bug
in it: the VACUUMs were not necessarily executed as superuser, but as
whichever user happened to own the item dumped last by pg_dump in each
database. That would result in VACUUM skipping over tables it thought
it didn't have permission to vacuum --- like, say, all the system
tables. Perhaps this explains the failures that some people have
reported.

Another day, another bug swatted ...

regards, tom lane

PS: when you announce RC5, don't forget to mention the required initdb
;-)