Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions
Date: 2004-07-24 15:12:27
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Thinking we have security because they can't guess
> pgdata seems like security through obscurity to me.

Sure, but it's still a useful roadblock to throw in an attacker's way.

I spent many years doing computer security stuff, and one thing I
learned is that the more layers of security you can have, the better.
You don't put all your faith in any one roadblock; you erect a series
of them that an attacker will have to break through all of. If some
of 'em are a little porous, that doesn't make 'em useless.

In today's context, I think the main point of requiring an attacker
to guess $PGDATA is that it helps avoid the "software monoculture"
syndrome. If someone did manage to write a Postgres-based virus that
involved an exploit in this area, it could only spread to machines
that had the $PGDATA value the virus writer was expecting.