Re: Implementation Suggestions

From: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementation Suggestions
Date: 2006-03-29 16:03:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Ian Harding wrote:

I am fascinated by your post. I have never heard a bad thing said about
RoR.

I have been meaning to investigate it because it is the only system I've
heard of that makes the same claim that I do, which is to have
eliminated entire categories of labor through automation.

Except that I built mine on a database foundation. Systematize and
automate database handling and UI creation should follow. I did not
know that RoR was so cavalier w/respect to the database, is that really
true? Is it really just yet-another-UI system?

IMHO the problem with all blink-of-an-eye dev tools is that they are not
built on a foundation of solid database design, but now we're drifting
OT....

>If you used Ruby on Rails, you'd be finished by now. It slices, it
>dices, it makes julienne fries.
>
>Seriously, it's not too bad if you don't mind it's plentiful
>shortcomings. I was getting carpal tunnel syndrome from typing
><scripting language> pages so I switched to RoR for a hobby app. It
>works fine, but you have to do it "The Rails Way" and expect no help
>from the "Community" because they are a fanboi cheerleader squad, not
>interested in silly stuff like referential integrity, functions,
>triggers, etc. All that nonsense belongs in the application!
>
>Check this out, there is no stale connection detection or handling in
>rails. I'm not kidding. If you connection drops out, restart your
>web server. Sorry. Blah.
>
>Anyway, besides its warts, it is dead easy to use, and does make
>putting together web applications in a "green field" scenario quite
>painless. Just don't try to do anything outside the box like trying
>to access an existing database that uses RDBMS features heavily and
>uses normal object naming.
>
>- Ian

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Attachment Content-Type Size