[Pljava-dev] [HACKERS] Shared memory

From: thomas at tada(dot)se (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] [HACKERS] Shared memory
Date: 2006-03-27 14:15:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pljava-dev

Rakesh Vidyadharan wrote:
> I agree with your view of connection pools. The only time I wished
> that PL/Java did not have such a "heavy" initialisation requirement
> was when I needed to use a Java stored procedure from C (it was too
> trivial to explore using a connection pool). I ended up writing an
> equivalent stored procedure in pgsql. This may be a major issue for
> some people, since one of the main benefits of using stored procedures
> is that your database logic becomes available to multiple technologies.
Good point.

> In my view the main benefit that may be derived form using a shared
> JVM is that you may be able to support more connections. Maybe you
> can just wait for the multi-tasking JVM to arrive on the scene. I am
> not sure how far the Java committee is on that, but there has been
> talk of developing one for quite a while now.

I think you mean the JSR121, where many JVM's can share resources by
running as "Java Isolates" in a MVM?. Unfortunately that will not help
much. A PostgreSQL backend process will still need to use ipc in order
to talk to the MVM process. What would help is if multiple JVM's, each
running as a separate process, could share a lot of resources but I
haven't seen any viable effort in that direction. I doubt it's doable
without major parts of the JVM being built into the kernel.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren