Re: Static build of psql with readline support

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chris(dot)kings-lynne(at)calorieking(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Static build of psql with readline support
Date: 2006-03-24 01:31:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What is the virtue of this in any case? I can see considerable use for a
> statically linked pg_dump, to help with upgrading, but not too much for
> statically linked anything else, especially since we are now pretty
> relocatable on most platforms at least.

Upgraded db server to 8.1, but don't want to upgrade client library on 3
webservers to 8.1. Reason being I'll have to end up rebuilding PHP and
more downtime and then new version of libtool, autoconf, etc. and
anything else FreeBSD ports decides it needs. So, I just put static
versions of pg_dump, pg_dumpall and psql on the webservers in
/usr/local/bin so that those machines can still usefully talk to the db
server from the CLI. In particular, I can restore dumps containing
dollar quotes, plus get new psql features and 8.1 dumps.

Chris