Re: Possible bug (or I don't understand how foreign keys should work with partitions)

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel(dot)colchete(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible bug (or I don't understand how foreign keys should work with partitions)
Date: 2007-06-22 21:42:39
Lists: pgsql-general

I was testing how
> foreign keys would work in this case and ran into this.
>
> Is this really a bug? If not, what am I doing wrong please?

Here is what the postgresql manual says about this:

A serious limitation of the inheritance feature is that indexes (including unique constraints) and
foreign key constraints only apply to single tables, not to their inheritance children. This is
true on both the referencing and referenced sides of a foreign key constraint. Thus, in the terms
of the above example:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/ddl-inherit.html#DDL-INHERIT-CAVEATS

Overcoming this limitation is on the todo list, but as far as I know it isn't slated to be fixed
in the upcomming 8.3. Perhaps 8.4 will include this feature.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.