Re: LDAP auth

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LDAP auth
Date: 2006-03-06 02:09:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>Awhile back, "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> wrote:
>>

>>>This patch adds native LDAP auth, for those platforms that
>>>

>>don't have
>>

>>>PAM (such as Win32, but also unixen without PAM). On Unix, uses
>>>OpenLDAP. On win32, uses the builin WinLDAP library.
>>>

>>Is this patch still live, or do you want to withdraw it in
>>light of the recent discussions about using libcurl?
>>

>I'm unsure wether libcurl does what we'd need, but I haven't looked into
>the details (I did a very quick check on the web, but was unable to
>quickly find what I was looking for).
>
>Specifically, we want to just do an LDAP bind and not actually fetch
>anything. Though I guess we could fetch the base DN without taking a lot
>of performance...
>
>Also, I'm unsure if they'll run with winldap on windows or add an extra
>library dependence on openldap (which will cause problems when using
>ldaps in windows, since you need a completely separate set of
>certificates and stuff imported into openldap instead of using what
>Windows alreayd set up for you). Their FAQ says they require openldap,
>but a quick google shows maybe they don't.
>
>Was there ever a decision in "the libcurl thread"? If we're going to
>pull in libcurl as a dependency anyway, it would deifnitly be worthwhile
>checking if we can use it here as well, if nothing else then just to get
>rid of the configure steps. But if we don't use it elsewhere, I don't
>see any reason to add an extra dependency.

I suggested libcurl in another context, and not so much as a means of
getting at LDAP data as a means of getting config data from non-LDAP as
well as LDAP sources. If all we want is LDAP then using libcurl would
indeed be introducing an unnecessary dependency.

In this context, though, its use seems a bit odd.

cheers

andrew