Is there a way to check which indexes are being used for a table

From: Dragan Matic <mlists(at)panforma(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is there a way to check which indexes are being used for a table
Date: 2006-02-23 13:15:07
Lists: pgsql-general

We have a 50 GB database (currently using postgresql 8.1.1) with a few
hundred tables. There are a few larger (2-5 million rows) tables with
multiple indexes on them, some being unique, some not. Now, I am pretty
sure some of the indexes are pretty useless and are never used but is
there a way to see which indexes have been used on a table (and how many
times) and which haven't? Statistics is turned on for a database, I can
see number of sequential scans and index scans for instance, but I would
like to know which indexes have been used and how many times.

Tnx in advance

Dragan Matic