Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-22 05:58:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Browne wrote:
> In the last exciting episode, markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz (Mark Kirkwood) wrote:
>>I agree with you for production environments, but for development,
>>test, support (and pre-sales) machines there are reasonable
>>requirements for several.
>

> I still have to ask what *specifically* you imagine to be the
> "potentially problematic" aspect of having multiple installations on a
> production system.
>
> Furthermore, I have to vigorously disagree with the claim, as I have a
> counterexample that has no "potentially" about it.

Sorry Christopher, I wasn't being clear enough - I (and Mark W as well I
*think*) were referring to multiple postgres clusters with *different*
versions of the binaries (e.g. running 1 cluster with 7.4.10, another
with 8.0.5 and another with 8.1.2) - as opposed to multiple clusters
using the *same* binaries (e.g. three 8.1.2 clusters) - which I
certainly have no issue with in any environment.

I was thinking that having several clusters with different versions of
the software on a production box made for extra confusion (e.g "create
the stored function on all the prod instances - oh yeah, don't forget to
patch it for the 7.4 one....").

Having said that, I run *exactly* this configuration, as I tend to use
my machines to replicate problems for customers (so I need whatever
version *they* are running), but I guess that qualifies as a "support"
installation in this discussion.

Cheers

Mark